Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Augusta Crit Series, April 26 (Written by Pat)

Did a mid-week crit up in Augusta on Tuesday, April 26.  I had won the B(Cat 4/5) race earlier in the series so I was able to do the A(Cat 1/2/3) race for the 2nd time.  The first time I did the "A" race it wasn't too bad.  I wasn't able to get in the winning break but I was able to take 4th or so in the field sprint for 8th overall.  This week was a completely different field with many stronger riders.  The first few laps of the race we averaged around 26 mph as a break was attempting to get established.  I covered a couple of guys that I knew were strong, but unfortunately none of them got in the break.

Once the break was established, I was expecting things to calm down a bit.  I was very wrong. People kept attacking the chase group instead of getting a steady paceline going to try to bring the breakaway back.  After about 30 minutes of this, I knew there was no hope for us to catch the breakaway and I just sat in a bridged up when an attack looked like it gained a bit too much ground.  Unfortunately, some people in this race take it a bit more seriously than a training race should be taken.  I had a bit of a run-in with a very strong, ex-pro rider that was not happy I was unable and unwilling to bridge up to an attack.  I had been doing a large percentage of the work in this group and was in a bit of trouble if didn't calm down.  After a pretty heated argument with a couple of guys, the random attacking continued until the last lap.  I ended up rolling in for 16th overall, about 7th or 8th in the chase pack.

Overall, I felt really strong which I am happy about.  My tactics were questionable so I know I need to learn to relax and let other people do some work.  I need to learn to trust that other riders are also willing and able to chase down attacks and let that happen.  I was more unhappy with the atmosphere of the race.  The organizers are great and I have no complaints about that.  However, I do have issues with the way some people handle themselves during the race.  Unfortunately, this race is far too important to several people.  To me, it is an opportunity to race with some Cat 1/2/3's and test myself before I upgrade.  It seems like for them it is their entire season.  I hope that things will calm down a bit as weeks progress because I really enjoy the race, the course, and most of the racers.

Jeff and Paul rode very well in the Cat. 4/5 race.  They finished mid-pack but according to Jeff, they got in a couple of breaks and rode very aggressively.  I can't wait to see how they ride after they get a bit more comfortable with the racing! 

PJ

No comments:

Post a Comment